Michelle P. Waiver
Provide Behavior Support Services (BSS) and Community Living Support (CLS) through the Michelle P Waiver. These services are designed to provide support to participants of the waiver in the home and community settings. BSS programs focus on reducing problem behavior while increasing replacement behavior in order to facilitate independence in activities of daily living, social skills, community inclusion, employment and more. Our Behaviors Support Specialists work with the participants, families and other team members to foster a unified approach to behavior reduction and skill aquistions.
What is the Michelle P Waiver (MPW)?
The Michelle P. Waiver (MPW) is part of Kentucky’s 1915(c) Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Medicaid waiver program. MPW provides assistance to individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities to help them live in the community as independently as possible. In 2002 a person (named Michelle P.) sued the state of Kentucky because waitlist for other wavers had exceeded 3,000 people. In 2008 the state agreed to start a new Medicaid waiver to serve individuals in need of services.
What Services Are Available?
Limited to 40 hours per week
- Case Management
- Adult Day Training
- Supported Employment
- Community Living Supports
- Behavior Supports
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Homemaker Service
- Personal Care
- Attendant Care
- Environmental/Minor Home Adaptation
- Adult Day Health Care
Qualifying Individuals for MPW Services:
Have an intellectual or developmental disability.
- Would be admitted to an intermediate care facility for individuals with an intellectual disability (ICF-IID) or a nursing facility if you did not have waiver services.
- Require a protected environment while learning living skills, gaining educational experiences, and developing an awareness of your environment.
- Meet the financial qualifications for Medicaid. There are special financial qualifications applied to the MPW program
For more information about MPW and how to apply visit: